The Wedding and Reception


The wedding between Bella and Edward encapsulates so much love and history in their relationship. It is a culmination and a beginning for this couple. Starting a new life together as a couple requires a certain amount of maturity. The apostle Paul talks about a mature love in Ephesians 4. In the first six verses, he gives an introduction to our new life in Christ. We have new responsibilities in this life, ones that are rooted in our common bonds. God calls us, through the words of Paul, to keep going on our faith journey. When we come to God, we are changed by His Spirit and transformed to be more like Jesus. But, the journey doesn’t end at this point. We keep walking on our journey toward God.

Notice that we are commanded to walk with humility, discipline, tolerance and love. This passage in Ephesians makes me think of Mother Teresa. She was a Catholic nun who spent decades of her life serving the poor in India. She could have ministered to wealthier people in nicer locations, but Mother Teresa helped the outsiders and exiles of this world with great humility and love. Her life is a current example to us. It’s not all about us. It’s about God and His character in us. While we bring diverse gifts and experiences into the community of Christ, we walk the same path in the same direction. We have the same authority and existence in Christ. We are bonded in Christ. We are called to live in unity with each other.

Unity seems to come and go at Bella and Edward’s wedding. While Jacob comes in peace to congratulate Bella, their interaction moves from a gift to a fight. Gifts, in any form, can be a mixed bag, for you never know what you will get. In Christ, we are gifted by God for service. In Ephesians 4:7-16, we read about a list of potential gifts. The quotation Paul uses within the text comes from Psalm 68:18. He is using an Old Testament example to explain a New Testament truth. The God of the past still bestows gifts to His children in the present. The gifts range in possibility, from leadership to everyday service, but they all fit perfectly together in God’s house. These gifts are used for serving others and maturing each other. What are your gifts? Do you know them yet? Some gifts are fairly obvious, but others can take time to develop as you mature in Christ.

For years, I was ashamed and even scared of my gifts. I grew up in a male-dominated religious culture. It was an oppressive environment for me, as my gifts were speaking and teaching. As a young girl and daughter of a kindergarten teacher, I focused my teaching abilities on young children. I really enjoyed teaching, but I didn’t enjoy the children. It was at this point that I began to think something was wrong with me. I could talk circles around the boys in my class when it came to Bible knowledge, but any desire to use my gifts for my peers was met with emotional sledgehammers upon my self-esteem. I felt a heavy burden to use my gifts for God, but my gifts seem to be “boy” ones. And I didn’t know what to do with that.

Whether it was school activities or even roles within my new career at a bank, the world seemed ready to accept a talented young woman like me. Yet, I had to hold back my talents at church. I had to die to a part of my soul each week at church, and it felt very confusing to me. I felt alone and very different from my peers. Other women seemed to be happy within their designated roles, but I just felt confined by them. It felt like the church just wanted to stuff me into a box and hide me someplace where no one could know the real me. Your gifts may be very different than mine, but each of us is called to contribute to the community of Christ with our gifts. God’s desire is for us to be different in our gifting but share a commonality in our message. That message is Christ, God’s greatest gift of love.